Map 3 - 2
Map 3 - 3
Izambane Islands
Map 2
Map 3
Join us at

miningdead.com

The Craft and Work Update

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Renegade_ii, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Renegade_ii

Renegade_ii Member

Introduction

Hello,

my name is Renegade, you may also call me Charlie, and I am a minecraft addicted.

I don't know when I actually joined, but I started actively playing, since the base update, which only was, I think, like 9 days ago. I actually have no idea, because I lost my feeling for time, when I was six.

Let's not lose time and talk about what this thread is about:

[​IMG]

As the title says, I'd like to introduce ya'll to an update idea, focused on the aspect of craftmanship and work.
    In my freetime I am also 3D-modelling, so I also included some examples. I will talk in this thread about:

1. General Idea
    2. Items/Blocks
    2.1 Working Modules
    2.2 Gear and objects
    3. Mechanisms
    3.1 Working Modules GUI
    3.2 Misc
    4. Pro/Contra

1. General Idea

Since this update idea focuses on the crafty aspect of the game, a lot of new items will have to be introduced. I read some suggestion in which staff stated, that there are simply not enough items to model and to use, so I thought about model- and nbt-tags. I'm not sure tho, if the model tag is a thing from newer versions. A datapack would also work, but even if not, this is just an idea. As said before, a lot of new stuff will have to be introduced. This includes items, which are basically part of every zombie apocalypse game with crafting possibilities, like duct tape and ropes, but also new mechanisms like a workstation to craft. I am convinced, that once such update has been introduced, thousand of new possibilities and doors will open. With crafting, basically every item will gain in-game depth by being part of a natural mechanism. For example the electric circuit, which has been introduced with the base update. It's not just an electric circuit, but a piece to something more meaningfull, which justifies its existent in the same and very moment. In this thread I will also cover the topic of workstations, which would complement the base update or at least add some additional flare to it.

2. Items/Blocks

I made 3D models of some items and blocks, which I had in mind for such update. I put the items and blocks in seperate spoilers for a cleaner overview. Have a look.

2.1 Working Modules

All modules can only be obtained in a base. They can be crafted at the workstation for a suitable amount of rescources. This may include material, which first need to be scavanged in the world, but can be later manufactured (e.g.: nails).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Description:

"A cleverly devised sequel of the traditional workbench. The workstation will utilise your items into building material, gear and weapons."

The workstation is the place where processed items from the fabricator and objects, found around the world, can be utilised. The end product can be anything, ranging from simple tools to weapons and explosives. For example one can use (3) nails, produced from the fabricator, a tin can and (2) gunpowder to create a low-impact nail bomb. To use this module, it must first be repaired. The can be done as soon as the base it's located at, has been claimed. This is the only module, which doesn't need to be first created, but is already existent.

(Repair Cost:

- (120) Wood

- (50) Metal

==> Instant Repair

[​IMG]

Description:

"The generator feeds your machines and electronics with the needed electricity. It's from paramount importance to refill it with gasoline from time to time."

The generator, which can be aquired as a second/third module at the workstation, will generate energy for the fabricator and other electric modules. It must be first filled with benzine and over time refilled. Rather than measuring the duration of the energy by time, I thought about measuring it by the number of uses of the mashines it feeds with electricity. So for example if one refills the generator with (1) gasoline, the fabricator can fabricate 5 items of your choice. (The generator can hold the content of 5 canister gasoline.)

Workstation (Material Cost):

- (8) Nails

- (80) Metal

==> 1 hour manufacturing time.

[​IMG]

Description:

"The fabricator functions in almost every case as both intermediary and processor between the generator and the other various machines. Keep it running."

The fabricator, as an working module which needs electricity to work, will need a filled generator to function.

It's able to process various items, such as metal and wood. It will only produce products, which don't do much on their own, but are needed for items in the workstation. The items, produced in the fabricator, will need time to be done, similar to the vanilla brewing stand(, but longer). A pack of screws can, for example, take 2 minutes to be made. This mashine counts as a furniture and must be aquired as such.

- (15) Nails

- (120) Metal

==> 1 hour, 30 minutes manufacturing time.

[​IMG]

Description:
    "The sewing machine is not only able to repair clothes, but to also enhance them by using different fibers. Needs energy to function"

As said in the description, the sewing machine can repair any kind of armor with a clothing repair kit and also strengthen them, giving it an important role in pvp.

- (10) Nails

- (85) Metal

==> 30 minutes manufacturing time.

2.1 Gear and objects

Crafting: Items, which individually do not have a bigger function, but only serve for further processing.

[​IMG]

Descripton:

Nails are a crucial item for a lot of building material. They can be found, when scavenging the world, or manufactured in the fabricator.

Fabricator (Material Cost):

- (6) Metal

==> 2 Minutes manufacturing time for (3) items.

[​IMG]

Description:

A common tin can. Can be found or obtained by eating canned food.

Material Cost:

- N/A

[​IMG]

Description:

Three sheets of metal. Can be manufactured in the fabricator.

- (25) Metal

==> 18 Minutes manufacturing time for (2) items.

[​IMG]

Description:

Sheets of plastic. Can be manufactured in the fabricator.

- (12) Plastic bottles

==> 5 minutes manufacturing time for (1) item.

[​IMG]

Description:

This rarity can only be found in high-tier military loot bags. It can be either broken down into (2) electronic circuits or implemented into the jammer.

Material Cost:

- N/A

[​IMG]

Description:

As time went by people scavanged the lands for material, which included the traditional battery. After so many years, only the most determined of scavangers will be able to call such item theirs.

Material Cost:

- N/A

[​IMG]

Description:
    A streak lightweighted, synthetic fiber with extremely high tensile strength. Can be utilised in the workstation into ballistic fiber, which can then be used to strenghten armor.

- (1) Dufflebag

==> 10 minutes manufacturing time for (2-3) item.

Functional items: Objects, who are serving another purpose besides crafting.

[​IMG]

Description:

The ammo box can hold 3 stacks of ammunition. One can decide to put up to three different ammunitions, but only 1 stack of each, or just 1 type, but therefor 3 whole stacks into the box. Can be build in the workstation.

- (3) Sheets of metal

- (8) Nails

==> 30 minutes manufacturing time for (1) item.

[​IMG]

Description:

As an explosive, the nail bomb is a deadly weapon on short range. It can be created in the workstation and will create a large explosion, heavily damaging those without armor. This includes walkers. A player with leather armor will still experience severe damage, while those with RIOT will feel nearly nothing. Even without its damaging factor, the nail bomb will still stun the affected entities, making it a great trump card to escape.

- (6) Nails

- (3) Gunpowder

- (2) Tin can

==> 15 minutes manufacturing time for (2) items.

[​IMG]

Description:

This object functions as a powerfull jammer, when placed near enemy bases, it will forcefully shut down all electronic machines by frying their circuits. It somehow also prevents all players in its radius to teleport, pinning them down, ready to be killed (This does not affect players in safezones). This device will stay for 30 minutes or until it's being destroyed manually or by an explosion. With a radius of 50 blocks, its diameter amounts to 100 blocks.

- (1) Military-grade circuit board

- (2) Metal Sheet

- (3) Batteries

==> 20 minutes manufacturing time.

[​IMG]

Description:

A handmade metal block. It will endure explosions and will take longer time to be mined. Can be made in the workstation.

(For this feature to make sense, the function that normal barricades are to be destroyed in the process of an explosion, needs to be introduced)

- (8) Sheets of Metal

- (3) Nails
    - (4) Barricades

==> 6 minutes manufacturing time for (4) blocks.

[​IMG]

Description:

The fertilizer will boost your base farm, increasing the efficiency to 150% (Not by 150%) for 8 hours.

Material Cost:

- N/A

[​IMG]

Description:

A lightweight, synthetic fiber with extremely high tensile strength. When sewed on armor, it'll protect efficiently from walker infections and range weapons. Can be sewed onto armor via the sewing machine.

- (8) Ballistic Fiber Streaks

==> 12 Minutes, 30 seconds manufacturing time for (1) item.

[​IMG]

Description:
    The panotex fiber is a fire-resistent fiber, produced for thermal protective clothing. In this case, it can be sewed on armor to gain less damage from fire. This will also slightly lower explosion damage. Can be sewed onto armor via the sewing machine.

Material Cost:

- N/A

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    ThunderDragon3 likes this.
  2. Renegade_ii

Renegade_ii Member

[​IMG]

Description:
    When sewed on armor, the kevlar fiber will provide huge body defense against melee weapons and bullets, that have been shot under 20 blocks. Can be sewed onto armor via the sewing machine.

Material Cost:
    - N/A
    3. Mechanisms

3.1 Working Modules GUI

In this section, I'll describe the general working of the different modules.

It is to be noticed, that this GUI and how it works applies to both workstation and fabricator.

[​IMG]

Description:
    This is the GUI of the workstation. I tried to make it as simple as possible. I had to make it inside my inventory, because I have no idea how to make a GUI otherwise, so sorry if that confuses you.

If you want to see an example on how it possibly could work, click on following spoiler.

Our goal in this example is to craft some nail bombs. I will picture every possibility, which a player may face for the sake of this example.

[​IMG]

Our goal is to craft some nail bombs.

Sections:
    - Left Part = In-Put
    -Middle Part = Out-Put
    - Right Part = List with items, that include objects from the im-put.

As one can observe from the picture above, upon putting nails into the in-put, 3 objects appear in the listing section of which all include nails in their crafting recipe.

[​IMG]

The ✘ labels a items, which we don't have on us or simply isn't enough to be used
    The ✔ labels a items, which is in the in-put and in the right amount to be used.

It's not of crucial importance to always put the exact right amount into the in-put. Expendable items will be put back into the inventory.

[​IMG]

Now, that we have all the materials, all materials are labeled with a ✔. The ammo box and the metal block dissapeared, since they don't include tin cans and gunpowder. Upon clicking on the nail bomb, we are being introduced to this:

[​IMG]

As one can see, all sections are locked making it impossible to interact with it furthermore. One can think about implementing an "Cancel" button, I simply just didn't do it.

The 9 slots under the in-put, out-put and list section is the waiting queue. Currently 2 more items could be made. The number of slots in the queue can be increased by upgrading the base itsself. One can switch between them by clicking on the respective item one wishes to open.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Examples of how it may look like, when the workstation is being used to its full extension. The crafting time will only be displayed for the item currently in progress. Once finished it can be taken out of the out-put section in the corresponding object gui to make free place for another order.

[​IMG]

Description:
    This is the GUI of the Generator. I tried to make it as simple as possible. I had to make it inside my inventory, because I have no idea how to make a GUI otherwise, so sorry if that confuses you.

If you want to see an example on how it possibly could work, click on following spoiler.

[​IMG]

Similar to the GUI of the workstation and fabricator, the GUI of the generator shares a similar scheme regarding the In- and Out-Put. As in the picture above seen, the right slot is the out-put. It shows how much gasoline the generator can hold and how full it is. The number will decide how many times the fabricator can be used.

[​IMG]

Upon putting gasoline into the in-put section, which is being representated by the left slot, the generator will drain the gasoline containers one by one, refilling itsself slowly. In this case For the sake of the demonstration, I put three container gasoline into the in-put.

[​IMG]

This is how it looks, as soon as it drained all 3 containers.

[​IMG]

Description:
    This is the GUI of the sewing machine. I tried to make it as simple as possible. I had to make it inside my inventory, because I have no idea how to make a GUI otherwise, so sorry if that confuses you.

[​IMG]

As you can see here, I'd like to sew (3) panotex fibers, (1) kevlar fiber and (1) ballistic fiber onto my armor.
    The left slot functions as the in-put for the armor piece we want to upgrade, the middle slot for the fiber we want to use and the right slot as the output with our randomized resistance factor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can also view in the 2 picture aboves, that both armor and fiber have a description. When hovering above the armor, it'll tell the player how many upgrade slots are left and when hovering above the fibers, it'll tell what kind of damage it will prevent. All fibers share the (1-4%) at the end.

[​IMG]

I insertet (1) panotex fiber into the middle slot and received a riot gear chestplate with a fire and explosion resistance of 3%. This is a fairly good outcome, since the maximum we can obtain from one fiber is 4%. It is important to note, that once the fiber is being put into the middle slot, the sewing will happen almost instantly preventing players from cheating the system, so make your choices wisely.

[​IMG]

I've now used all 5 fibers. In total I received 9% explosion and fire resistance, 2% resistance against melee and short range weapons and 4% defense against both long- and short range weapons and walker infections.

It's important to not forget, that these upgrades can be made on all 4 armor pieces. In theory one can achieve an armor set with a resistant of 48% against e.g.: fire and blast damage (not 64%, since the resistance of one type on an armor can not exceed 12%) and additional 32% of another type of resistance. This though should be pretty much impossible. Why, I will explain in the misc section.

3.2 Misc.

In the misc section, I will talk about randoms features, which accompany this idea thread.

Fibers are items, which can be used to upgrade armor pieces. Each fiber holds the resistance potential of 1-4%, which is randomized. A single piece of armor can not exceed the resistance of 12% of a single type of fiber.

As in the item section, three kind of fibers has been introduced, raising specific stats of the armor.

Ballistic Fiber: Defense against range weapons and walker infections.
    Panotex Fiber: Defense against fire and explosion.
    Kevlar Fiber: Defense against melee weapons and short-range weapons (20 blocks).

These can be sewed onto armor by using the sewer module as demonstrated earlier.
    The most ideal case of armor upgrade would be getting 48% of one type and 32% of another. For this to happen, it is required, that every sewing process ends with the every armor piece gaining 4% of additional resistance, making it a total of 20 sewing processes.

The chance to gain 1% resistance: 40%
    The chance to gain 2% resistance: 30%
    The chance to gain 3% resistance: 20%
    The chance to gain 4% resistance: 10%

In total the chance for the event to happen, that all 4 armor pieces gain 4% every time amounts to 4*10^-4, which is exactly 0.0004%. The probability of this is minuscule. (I hope I calculated that right, because else I made a fool of myself)

To be honest, I think there is not much to say to this topic. Explosive gear like the C4 should cause damage to the surrounding.

4. Pros / No cons, because who wants to critizise their own idea?

You did it. You finally arrived at the last section of this thread. I hope I didn't bore you too much. Anyways, I truely believe, that all this stuff could help the server to progress and thrive. I am not sure if this considered before, but I read trough some of the earlier suggestions and they were sadly only touching the surface regarding to the crafting. That although could have also just been, because the base update didn't arrived yet. Anyways. Such update could depthen the game mechanics and increase gameplay. It would also make a great addition to the bases we now have, giving them an even bigger purpose. I tried to visualize every mechanic and item I imagined and I hope, that the intention could be properly conveyed. My english is a bit rusty, so I hope for your understanding.

Making such update possible would mean a huge step forward to whatever the roads leads it to, which is kind of impractical, since such update can't be broken down into more tinier ones. The crafting requires materials, the materials require a crafting bench, so a lot must come at once. Just to prevent misunderstandings, I don't think, that the server isn't already great, this is just a suggestion to add even more atmosphere to it. I tried my best to balance the items, I mentioned like the jammer, which can prevent player in a 100 blocks diameter from teleporting by making it include the military grade circuit board, which should be a rare item, that can only be found. I tried working with items, that are already existent in the game, but it was difficult considering, that I added quite a few items, so sorry for that.[/spoiler]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  3. ChiefBlitzen

ChiefBlitzen Member

As a constant player of various games that involve logistics such as Prison Architect, State of Decay 2, Space Engineers, and so on, I feel like this would be a great way to expand on the idea of bases, perhaps it starts off simple and the more upgrades you do to your base/the more experience you get from being a base owner, the more advanced you can make it. I am a little upset with the fact of how you can only generate armor or guns, but not resources such as wood, cloth, or metal.

4. Runkelpokk

Runkelpokk Member

Realy detailed these are suggestions i like to read :)

sounds like a lot of work for the devs but would be realy cool to see ingame

Special Deals
sale

Mining Dead Ultimate Crate Pack

Twitter
Discord